Lots of people end up having to work away from home for anything from a day or two through to several weeks or even months and years. You may be a consultant or contractor working on a client site, on secondment to another organization, or working at another site within your own organization.
If you are going somewhere for a day or so, hotels or Bed and Breakfasts are probably your best bet for accommodation, and if you get it wrong, it is only a day or two. If you are staying longer, it is worth giving a bit more thought and doing some research about where to stay. check out this link to get the best contractor accomdation.
Do as much research as you can as early as possible. A few obvious things to find out are:
- where you will be based and the hours you are likely to work;
- what the area has to offer;
- what you will have to pay for and what someone else will pay for.
Consider what matters to you:
- Your family situation: would you like your family to come and visit?
- Your interests: what facilities do you want: internet access, gym, cooking facilities or meals prepared?
- How much will you want to travel in the area you are staying in: will you have a car? what are the public transport facilities?
It can take a little while to find the right place as it is normal to view properties before taking the lease and landlords will normally want to take references. A good option is to take out a short-term accommodation above for a few weeks, to let you get to know an area and to look around before you commit yourself to a lease of 6 months or more.